Type: Full Time, Permanent
Location: UK (remote with some travel within the UK)
Salary: £40,000-£54,000 depending on experience.
Mixd is looking for a Senior User Experience (UX) Designer to help us explore, craft and improve intuitive and inspiring websites for public sector clients. You’ll have proven user-centred design experience and detailed knowledge of UX methodology and practices.
About the role
You’re an experienced UX Designer with strong web accessibility experience. At this level, you will be expected to work independently with minimal guidance from our Digital Director and Creative Director. The role will require you to understand user needs, gather requirements, facilitate stakeholder engagement and translate this into innovative, engaging prototypes and creative designs. You must be familiar with working together in cross-functional teams and be able to lead on all areas of the Discovery phase. You will build good rapport and strong working relationships with colleagues and clients and be able to articulate your processes in a jargon-free manner. We will need you to roll your sleeves up and be a natural leader and mentor. Your position in the team means juniors, peers and clients will be looking to you for guidance and leadership.
- Lead the day-to-day delivery of the Discovery phases of projects working with our Digital Director and Creative Director.
- Plan and carry out user research to understand user needs.
- Create sitemaps, wireframes and prototypes to bring design intentions to life, ready to be shared with clients and/or validated with users.
- Carry out usability testing and other forms of research to validate designs.
- Carry out web accessibility testing.
- Carry out website audits and expert reviews.
- Develop designs to meet proven user needs and achieve agreed outcomes.
- Communicate concepts and present clearly and persuasively to different audiences managing stakeholder expectations and priorities.
- Manage your own project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Support the Creative Director to maintain an efficient design delivery process, through regular clear communication with engineering teams.
- Provide support to engineering teams throughout the build process to ensure designs are being correctly interpreted and implemented.
- Work with our content editors and client services teams to ensure our business obligations are met whilst never compromising on the user experience.
- A minimum of four years’ experience as a UX Designer (or similar).
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant design field or equivalent practical experience.
- Exceptional understanding of user-centred design principles.
- Practical experience of UX design, research methodologies and practices.
- Able to deliver research, design and prototyping independently.
- Excellent knowledge of WCAG 2.1 (ideally with practical testing experience).
- Expertise in design tools such as Sketch and Abstract (or similar tools).
- Excellent organisational skills, time management and attention to detail.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- The ability to manage and set client expectations.
- Experience of the Discovery, Alpha, Beta, Live delivery framework, Government Service Standards and/or previous work in the public sector would be an advantage.
Mixd is a highly respected user experience digital agency specialising in information design. Over the last 18 years, we have designed and built websites that are robust, usable, secure and meet user needs, using modern, open-source technologies for the NHS, Police, local Councils and many other public sectors. We are a multi-disciplined team of 13 designers, developers and UX experts and have established ourselves as one of the NHS’ leading digital partners. We are also one of the leading providers of enterprise-ready WordPress solutions and bring open source solutions to the public sector. Making sure the services we create work for everyone is really important to us at Mixd. We have a proven track record in web accessibility and have been involved with web standards since it began. We are also involved in the wider accessibility community, running training and contributing to WCAG standards. Importantly, we have extensive experience in delivering accessibility audits for public sector services and are familiar with the service standard and GOV.UK design patterns.
We are a remote-first business, with people based all around the UK. However, our Leeds city centre studio, just a few minutes walk from Leeds railway station, is open for those that want to work onsite or you can do a combination of both. You will need to work both independently and as part of a remote team and will have the opportunity to meet the rest of the company at our annual company meetup and with members of the rest of your team on a regular basis.
We offer a competitive salary, negotiable depending on qualifications and experience. On top of this we have a generous benefits package, including pension scheme, flexible hours, 25 days holiday growing to 30 days over time, paid social events, bike schemes and a wellbeing scheme.
- Flexible hours and opportunity to work from home.
- A creative office environment above Leeds station.
- Annual £1000 personal learning and development allowance.
- Coaching programme for professional and personal development.
- Up to 30 days annual leave (pro rata).
- Apple Macbook Pro and monitor.
- Competitive salary and annual discretionary bonus.
- Employer contributed pension.
- Annual Christmas jaunt abroad.
- Regular social events subsidised by the company.
- Generous maternity and shared parental leave package.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- £40 per month wellbeing budget.
How to apply
If you have any questions around the role, we’d be pleased to answer them. Send a message to [email protected] and we’ll get back to you.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
- Appointments will be made subject to a background check
- We work a flexible hybrid of remote and/or together in our Leeds studio.
- You may be required to attend in person for some workshops or events, so expect some face-to-face contact and travel now and then.
- We welcome remote applicants from anywhere in the UK, assuming you’re able and happy to travel to gather with the rest of the team in Leeds once a month or so.
- We aim to get in touch with candidates within two weeks of contacting us.
- Our selection process starts with a 1-to-1 informal chat prior to an interview with some of the team.
- Mixd is an equal opportunities employer committed to ensuring that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race.
Please, no recruitment agencies! You’ll be wasting your time and ours.