WCAG 2.2 has been developed collaboratively within the W3C framework, with the active participation of individuals and organisations worldwide. Its primary objective is to establish a universal standard for web content accessibility that caters to the needs of individuals, organisations, and governments on a global scale. WCAG 2.2 builds upon the foundations of WCAG 2.1 and adds nine new success criteria.
Mixd’s commitment to WCAG standards
We consistently refresh our services, training and frameworks to stay current with the most recent WCAG criteria. We are thrilled to announce that we have already integrated support for WCAG 2.2 into our services, training materials and accessibility auditing.
Improvements for people with cognitive and learning disabilities
Addressing accessibility obstacles for individuals with cognitive challenges was a central objective in the development of WCAG 2.2, with seven out of the nine newly introduced success criteria specifically aimed at enhancing accessibility for this demographic. Features such as secure yet simplified authentication methods, minimising repetitive data entry, ensuring consistent access to help resources and providing clear focus indicators all contribute to creating a more inclusive environment for people with cognitive differences.
What has changed in WCAG 2.2?
WCAG 2.2 will add 9 new requirements to what is already in WCAG 2.1 and 2.0. The new set of requirements will also still use the same A/AA/AAA conformance levels as before. These are:
- 2.4.11 Focus Not Obscured (Minimum) (Level AA)
- 2.4.12 Focus Not Obscured (Enhanced) (Level AAA)
- 2.4.13 Focus Appearance (Level AAA)
- 2.5.7 Dragging Movements (Level AA)
- 2.5.8 Target Size (Minimum) (Level AA)
- 3.2.6 Consistent Help (Level A)
- 3.3.7 Redundant Entry (Level A)
- 3.3.8 Accessible Authentication (Minimum) (Level AA)
- 3.3.9 Accessible Authentication (Enhanced) (Level AAA)
How can Mixd help you with WCAG 2.2 conformance?
Becoming accessible to WCAG 2.2 will not be a challenging feat if you are already compliant with WCAG 2.1. However, to support these new requirements, we have created a WCAG 2.2 accessibility audit package that gives new and existing clients all the tools needed to become compliant including:
- WCAG 2.2 known fixes for existing Mixd products and services
- Accessibility Audit against WCAG 2.2 AA guidelines
- Review and support updating your accessibility statement
- Accessibility training and consultancy
If you want to find out more about how we can support you with WCAG 2.2 compliance, please get in touch.